Tugain® Solution is manufactured by Cipla.
Tugain® Solution is intended for external use only. The solution can be used only for hereditary hair loss.
Hereditary hair loss may affect both men and women. Male-pattern hair loss (MPHL) occurs due to a combination of genetics and the male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
Female-pattern hair loss (FPHL) is commonly caused by aging, genetic or changes in the levels of androgens (male hormones). For example, after reaching menopause, many women find that the hair on their head is thinner, while the hair on their face is coarser.
Tugain Solution’s® active ingredient Minoxidil is a trichogenic agent. It is effective at stopping hair loss in both men and women and may produce hair growth in some patients. Minoxidil is a vasodilator and acts by dilating blood vessels and opening potassium channels, thus, allowing more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the follicles. This shortens the follicle resting phase (telogen), which is followed then by a new anagen phase (active phase of growth).
Tugain® Solution must be used continuously to maintain effects on hair growth.
Minoxidil is also used as a systemic antihypertensive, but it does not cause hypotension when used as a topical therapy for hair loss.
Hair loss may increase during the first 2 weeks of Tugain® Solution use. This is temporary and expected, and is a sign that old hairs are being shed as new ones start to grow.
Remember, that Tugain® Solution is less effective when there is a large area of hair loss. Its effectiveness is more noticeable in younger men who have experienced hair loss for less than 5 years.
Tugain® Solution is for topical use only.
Avoid getting solution in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Tugain® Solution in your eyes, wash them out with cool tap water.
Do not use on scalp that is irritated or sunburned.
How to use:
1. Wash your scalp with a mild shampoo. Your hair and scalp must be dry before applying Tugain® Solution. Tugain® Solution should not be mixed with any hair oil.
2. Squeeze the bottle until the solution comes up to the rim. Then release it. There will be collected exactly 1 ml of liquid in the neck of the bottle. Remove it by using the dropper.
3. Apply 1 ml of Tugain® Solution twice daily at 12-hour intervals to the scalp, beginning at the center of the affected area and spreading the solution out to cover the entire affected area. The total daily application dose should not exceed 2 ml. Tugain® Solution should not be massaged into the scalp, but applied lightly. A hair dryer should not be used to speed up the drying of the solution as it may decrease the effectiveness.
4. Allow Tugain® Solution to remain on the scalp for about 4 hours before washing. The night-time application should be done 2-4 hours before going to bed to allow the solution to dry out.
5. Hands should be washed immediately if Tugain® Solution is applied with the fingertips.
Temporary hair loss may continue and increase for up to 2 weeks after you start using minoxidil solution.
The clinical trials show, that twice-daily applications for 4 months or more may be required before there is evidence of hair growth.
If you do not see improvement after 4 months, check with your doctor.
Missing a dose
More frequent use or longer application time have no effect on the hair growth. In case of missing any daily applications of Tugain® Solution, the patient should continue with the next application.
The drug should not be used more than two times a day, or be taken orally or applied to any other part of the body to avoid the risk of adverse effects and unwanted hair growth. The total daily application dose should not exceed 2 ml.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F) and away from excess moisture and heat. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Keep out of the reach of children.